Monday, June 29, 2015

Monday Made it... Fabric Chandeliers

Last week my Teacher Besties came over and we did what we love, CRAFT!!!  We made fabric chandeliers (this is what the gentleman at Joann's called them and I just love the name).  



We bought lots of different fabrics.  Our goal was to each make 2 fabric chandeliers.  To be honest, I didn't think we bought enough fabric.  Here are the colors we bought. 
Thank goodness for coupons!! Joann's let us use all of our coupons and we hit the jackpot with a 20% off your total purchase.  

Now it was time to measure, cut, tear, and tie.  First, we had to cut the edges.  We decided we wanted our pieces to be 18 inches long (this allows for 9 inches on both sides once you tie).  I measured and drew the lines on the fabric while Kristen and Jamie cut. This took awhile.  





After we had our 18 inch pieces cut, we then needed to make small 2 inch cuts.  This makes it easy to tear your strips.  Here is Kristen tearing (I just love this picture). 



After we were done tearing our 2 inch strips, we soon realized we had WAYYYY too much fabric.  Look at all of our fabric! Yikes!!!

Next, we played around with the strips to see which order we loved most.  We made it easy and just put the piles in an assembly line.  



Our burlap string was about 95 inches long.  We each used 5 sets of strips.  We had plenty to each make 2.  Kristen and I ended up making one for the front of our desks.  Here is the final product. Don't you just love?!



A little advice, if you make these you don't need that much fabric.  If you're making one on your own, you probably only need a half a yard.  You can also buy scrap pieces at any fabric store and Walmart.   

Next week, I will be in Vegas at the I Teach 1st Conference.  I'm very excited and will be blogging about my fabulous trip.  Stay tuned...


10 comments:

  1. Love this!!!! Adding it to my to do list:) Thanks for linking up;0)
    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love your Monday Made it! Happy Summer :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this! I was going back on Pinterest just this morn to find the post about making one of these. I'm trying to figure out how much fabric to buy...hope I can find some on sale, too! Yours is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You don't need much. We bought way too much. Don't forget to use your coupons :) Happy Crafting!

      Delete
  3. These are super cute and can go with any theme! You girls did a great job!

    Jamie
    Teaching Tidbits and More with Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love the fabric you chose..it all works together so nicely. If you're still looking for a way to use up the extra fabric I made curtains from little strips like this. I tied the pieces onto a tension rod - super cute and easy! It was a Monday Made It on my blog last summer if you want to check it out!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of curtains! Thank you :)

      Delete